Monte Zhang, General Manager of China Business Department of AZ China, has nearly 10 years of experience in non-ferrous metals industry. He has participated in the compilation of the non-ferrous metals price index of the Price Monitoring Center of the National Development and Reform Commission. He often mainstream financial columns such as First Finance expounded industry views, and wrote industry columns for industry media such as China Energy News, and delivered keynote speeches at industry conferences many times.
Keynote Speaker and Panelist: SESSION: China
Whither the Giant? Where is China with the climate goals? Can China break through to truly low carbon aluminium?
All Sessions by Monte Zhang
China | Whither the Giant?: Where is China with the climate goals? Can China break through to truly low carbon aluminium?
- China is the world's largest contributor to CO2 emissions, however due to recent reforms China constitutes around two thirds of the world's green aluminium. China announced that they will be installing by next year as many solar panels as USA currently have in total - in only one year!
- A review of the growth and development of recycling centres in China.
In 2020, China's President Xi Jinping said his country would aim for its emissions to reach their highest point before 2030 and for carbon neutrality before 2060.
- Where is China with the climate goals?
- How about the development of solar and wind capacity? What about Nuclear? How does China energy mix look like at the moment?
- Is China's aluminium industry committed to using alternative energy for its operations?
- Does it seem like these goals will be met as per the timeline set? What to expect from China during the COP27 Summit?
- Will China aluminium industry keep growing? What of the 45MT capacity cap?
- Is China under a threat from lower cost countries? Is it under pressure to meet the international market demand for higher standards?
- At the top end, big companies and large conglomerates are setting their standards according to the aluminium they consume, but what about the thousands of downstream factories in China? What standards and how much involvement there is at the grass root level?
- What about the average Chinese citizen, how do they feel about climate change? Is there any awareness about the aluminium industry and its fight against climate change? What is the general attitude with regards to aluminium recycling across the country? What is the average household doing with regards to recycling in general? Are there any facilities available for aluminium recycling? How uniform or accessible is it in the rural versus urban China?
- What are the merits and disadvantages of China aluminium production?
- China's new aluminium capacity is based on hydroelectricity, making that metal suitable as a low carbon source. What role does China see for itself in the global green aluminium market?