Mr. Dong Chunming has worked in the Non-ferrous metal industry for 35 years and is an expert in the magnesium and aluminium industry and market research. He founded Sunlight Metal Consulting in 2006 to provide Consulting and information services on magnesium and aluminium.He is also an expert of Chinese Non-ferrous Metal Industry Fabrication Association (CNFA) and China coordinator of Global aluminium foil roller initiative(GLAFRI).
Before founding Sunlight Metal, he worked for the China Non-ferrous Metal industry association (CNIA), the state Non-ferrous Metal industry bureau and China Nonferrous Metals Technology and Economics Institute. From 1994 to 2005, he was deputy general manager of Antaike, where he was responsible for aluminium and magnesium. From 1997 to 2007, he also served as deputy secretary-general of China Magnesium Association.
In recent years, Mr. Dong paid attention to the sustainability issues of aluminum industry, and actively promoted the construction of responsible and sustainable aluminum value chain. At the same time, he has done a lot to expand the application of aluminum and magnesium in China.
Keynote Speaker and Panelist: SESSION: China
Whither the Giant? Where is China with the climate goals? Can China break through to truly low carbon
All Sessions by Mr. Dong Chunming
In 2020, China's President Xi Jinping said his country would aim for its emissions to reach their highest point before 2030 and for carbon neutrality before 2060.
- Where is China with the climate goals?
- How about the development of solar and wind capacity? What about Nuclear? How does China energy mix look like at the moment?
- Is China's aluminium industry committed to using alternative energy for its operations?
- Does it seem like these goals will be met as per the timeline set? What to expect from China during the COP27 Summit?
- Will China aluminium industry keep growing? What of the 45MT capacity cap?
- Is China under a threat from lower cost countries? Is it under pressure to meet the international market demand for higher standards?
- At the top end, big companies and large conglomerates are setting their standards according to the aluminium they consume, but what about the thousands of downstream factories in China? What standards and how much involvement there is at the grass root level?
- What about the average Chinese citizen, how do they feel about climate change? Is there any awareness about the aluminium industry and its fight against climate change? What is the general attitude with regards to aluminium recycling across the country? What is the average household doing with regards to recycling in general? Are there any facilities available for aluminium recycling? How uniform or accessible is it in the rural versus urban China?
- What are the merits and disadvantages of China aluminium production?
- China's new aluminium capacity is based on hydroelectricity, making that metal suitable as a low carbon source. What role does China see for itself in the global green aluminium market?